Search

Content

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Vinyl: The Appeal

Upon getting just my third vinyl record- Yes, I've fallen victim to the latest vinyl comeback- I get it. I get the appeal.

Let's clarify: I am currently enjoying the genius that is The Smiths, The Queen Is Dead.

The Smiths, Arcade Fire, Mumford & Sons

After periodically researching article upon article on why vinyl is better, or if it even is better, I was skeptical. Am I just another sucker for the latest indie trend? Are the marketing moguls laughing at me?

None of my research, though, explained just what it is about vinyl that, simply put, rocks.

Sure, it sweeps you up in the process itself of slipping the vinyl out of the case, blowing off the dust, placing the needle just so. The intermittent crackle between songs.

A record gives my most prized albums a tangibility- I can touch, feel, look at the music that I so love. I can watch it turn and magically spit out those songs I've only known until now as a file on a computer.

Beyond all of this, though, there's really nothing you can read about records that will convince you more than putting your favorite album onto the turntable and listening to it through.

There's no such thing as "random" or skipping through a song. Listen to the album, song by song, and you'll get it. Like I do now.

Bigmouth strikes again
And I've got no right to take my place
With the human race

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Followers